[pox-dev] l2_learning flow installation

Adam Pavlidis adampavlidis at gmail.com
Wed May 27 14:29:31 PDT 2015

>>     Are you using l2_learning and only l2_learning?
>>

>> I am using  l2_learning, log.level with --DEBUG flag, and a custom
>> module that only handles Flow Removed events (only to print them)
>>

>>     Are you sure?  Try monitoring the OpenFlow connection to the
>>     controller (this can be done with Wireshark, for example, or with
>>     a little modification to POX).  Do you see packet-ins with the
>>     ARPs in them?
>>

>> Sorry you are right, by using Wireshark with OF dissector i see the
>> packet In messages containing arp.
>> However, since the hosts don't exchange ARP Messages, but POX
>> receives Packet In messages were do these messages come from?
>> Also,
>> why the ARP request packets encapsulated in Packet In target a specific
>> MAC, as opposed to usual ARP request targeting every MAC? Is it a
>> "keep-alive" like mechanism for ARP Cache entries, or am i way off base?
>
> Are you sure they're not?  You've inspected the right interfaces with
> Wireshark or whatever?  I am guessing they are there.  (And that
> Linux's ARP logic is not as straightforward as one might imagine.)

Well i was certain initially, but now i have some doubts that i did not
do something wrong in tcpdump. Now that i used wireshark not only to
dissect the OF messages but to inspect the OF Bridge interfaces i was
proved wrong again...
I guess i got carried away by me expectation not to sent/receive
messages for a host with an already known MAC and perhaps i terminated
the capture prematurely.
Seems like this is a Linux ARP logic matter as you said. I will search
further on that direction.

Sorry for bothering you with this, and thanks again for all your help